Image Map

August 16, 2012

It's a Hard Knock Life


Most days I think Olive is an absolute angel - she is usually very sweet and can do no wrong.  Today, however, was another story. We had a play date with Cheryl and Hayden in the morning, and from the moment we got to their house Olive was in a bad mood. She didn't want Hayden to play with the kitchen set with her.  She didn't want him to color with her. When they were playing the piano he shut it on her fingers and she was inconsolable for 5 minutes. Then she didn't want to share the broom set. She fell while walking up the stairs and was inconsolable for another 5 minutes. Then she had a melt down when we got upstairs into the playroom. Then she didn't want Piper to push her in the swing. Then she didn't want to share again. This went on and on and on until after hitting me and pulling my hair I said "Enough.  We are leaving". 


I realize that if the piano incident had not happened or falling on the stairs - the day could have had a completely different outcome. Unfortunately it was just a bad day for little Olive. The hardest part was disciplining her. What works for one person might not be right for me or my sweet baby. I felt the best thing to do was to take her out of the situation that was causing her to act out. Then on the ride home while she cried most of the way - I tried to explain why we left. I'm sure she didn't understand half of what I was saying but it certainly made me feel better! The worst part was that I hadn't seen Cheryl in ages and I had been looking forward to spending some time with her. That, AND the fact that I had told her that Olive was the easiest, sweetest baby ever. I definitely had to eat my words!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, sounds like she's coming up on the terrible twos!!