Image Map

May 21, 2013

Buster's Birthing Adventures



I hate to admit it, but by the end of this pregnancy I was feeling pretty crappy. I had convinced myself that Buster was coming earlier rather than later, and by the time my due date approached - I was feeling anxious and depressed. I wasn't sure what was taking so long and with each false contraction (and thinking that this was finally it!!!) I grew more and more frustrated. I tried the salad. I tried a foot massage. I tried walking. I tried the salad again. Unfortunately nothing worked.


All that changed on Wednesday afternoon. My contractions started after a visit to our doctors office and didn't let up. They were coming fast (every 2.5 minutes) and hard. After a quick visit to my favorite sushi place we headed to the hospital and 5 hours later Buster was born.


I didn't think that there could be a better birth than Olive's. But I have to admit Buster's was pretty amazing too. I loved my nurse, Emily. I loved the midwife and resident that actually delivered my sweet little boy. I even liked that I got the epidural at 7CM and just as they were administering the magical drugs, Emily told me the baby was here and that I needed to get ready to push. Huh? How the heck did that happen? Well I can tell you - the anesthesiologist took his sweet time and I somehow got to 10CM before I could feel any relief. At least next time I'll know I can do it without any drugs!


After 3 pushes the doctors put him on my chest and everyone left the room for an hour. I just stared at him the entire time not quite believing that he was finally here.


Both my mom and Carolyn were in the room for the birth. My hope was that it would be a special experience that we could all share. And honestly - I think it was a very special moment for all of us! 


But the absolute best part of the entire day was when Olive came to the hospital and sat in my lap and kissed her baby brother for the first time. Looking down at both of my babies - I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. 

No comments: