Image Map

November 25, 2012

When Bad Things Happen to Good People


I try not to advertise all the bad things that happen in the Cahn household. I try and keep the blog positive and upbeat, although every once in awhile I'll complain about not feeling well, or document one of Olive's temper tantrums. Thankfully we are very fortunate and have very few bad things to write about. However, on Thanksgiving morning we got a call that our house was broken into. Let me assure you - the feelings I felt when I heard the words were not good. Someone broke into our house? On Thanksgiving? WHO DOES THAT? Andrew had to fly home to assess the damage and Olive and I were left to celebrate without him. Although, if I'm being honest, what kind of celebrating were we really going to do? Our house was in disarray. Every single jewelry box had been emptied. And both computers were missing. But then I started thinking about how it could have been worse. Olive and I could have been home. They could have taken all my clothes and shoes. Or even burned down our house. At that moment I decided that I couldn't let it get to me. It was just "stuff". And even though I lost a lot of things that were important to me like pictures and my grandmothers emerald ring, the most important thing in my world is sleeping soundly in her room right now.

No comments: