Image Map

March 18, 2011

Olive Wants to Party All the Time


I'm not going to lie - the last couple of weeks have been brutal. Olive is no longer sleeping through the night. It started with her waking up every 2-3 hours. Then she was waking up at midnight, 3am, and 6am. Now it is 3am and 7am so at least I can get a little rest.  The problem is, Olive fights sleep. She refuses to take naps during the day which ultimately affects her sleep at night. I'm putting things on lockdown for the next week. My goal is to get her taking regular naps and sleeping through the night! I have a feeling she is teething, which may be the cause of all our problems. Although looking at that gorgeous face of hers, I forget about my sleep deprivation and just want to snuggle up next to her.

**Update - The sleep training we tried last night isn't easy.  I can't let my sweet little baby cry.  I just can't do it.  Although I went in a few times to give her the pacifier, that only gave me an extra hour or two.  Finally at 3:30am I broke down and fed her.  She slept until 7am after that.  They say that babies at 5 months or 14 pounds (Olive is 15 lbs 12 ounces) should be sleeping through the night.  The sleep training I'm trying is to eliminate those night time feedings.  Basically when the baby cries, you go in after 5 minutes and say the same line everytime.  "Mommy is right here.  It is time to sleep, sweetie.  Mommy and Daddy will see you in the morning", or something like that.  The key is to teach them to self soothe. Well.... I let Olive cry/fuss for about 30 seconds and then I went in.  5 minutes seems like FAR too long.

No comments: